As experienced Houston newborn photographers and mothers, we know just how full your plate gets the moment you find out you're expecting. It's such a joyful time, full of excitement! But the to-do list grows by the day, 9 months flies by at warp speed, and things get moved to the backburner. Don't forget to schedule your newborn session, though!
Here are 8 reasons we think you should schedule your newborn session early, for peace of mind & planning.
At Lentille Photography, our Houston newborn photography studio and team is ready to take care of all of your portrait session needs. Every session is handled with care and attention to every single detail on your behalf. With a dedicated hair and makeup artist, custom styling from our client closet, and posing directions, clients simply show up in sweats and freshly washed hair, and leave in full glam and no laundry to take care of, excited to see their gallery.
When to plan your newborn photos
We encourage mamas to reserve newborn photos at the beginning of the second trimester. Energy levels are usually higher & the first trimester risks have greatly reduced, so now is the time to start really planning!
- Check it off your to-do list - We know how much preparation it takes to bring a baby into the world. Between doctor appointments, birthing classes, and preparing your home, don't forget to add finding and reserving your newborn photographer to the list. The sooner you take care of it, the sooner it's off that ever growing to-do list!
- Availability - Because of how much time and attention we put into each and every session, we accept a limited number of photo sessions per month. We also know that babies come at their own time. Maintaining a limited calendar ensures we have the flexibility to adjust easily and accommodate an early or late arrival. Our calendar stays consistently booked 4-6 months in advance. Keep this in mind when you're beginning your research on all things newborn!
Additional Options when you schedule your newborn photos
- Upgrade your session to a luxury membership & add a maternity session - Our luxury membership gives families the flexibility to reserve 2-4 photography sessions with us over the span of baby's first year. Often times, a membership begins with a maternity session either in the studio or an outdoor session, depending on the time of year. Maternity portraits are typically taken between 28-34 weeks, once you've 'popped', but before you're uncomfortable. Read more about when to schedule your maternity photos
- Add Hair & Makeup - We work with one of Houston's best hair and makeup artists and firmly believe she's the best way to start your session. She'll meet you at your home or our studio before the session to help you feel refreshed and picture-ready.
- Add Florals - Another unique way to incorporate a special touch to your newborn photos is incorporating florals into your session. Maybe you want to use the same flowers you did in your wedding or baby's birth flower. Whatever the vision, we can help get you in contact with a florist that will make your dreams come true.
Now that you know when and why scheduling your newborn photos early is important, the next question to answer is...
How old should baby be at the time of the newborn session?
While we don't have a hard and fast rule about baby's age at the time of the session, we do recommend completing the session sometime between 7-14 days old. Here's why.
- Babies are at their sleepiest in the first two weeks of life and oftentimes will sleep through the whole session. This gives the photographer some added flexibility with posing both with the family and for those sweet curled up solo baby images.
- The saying 'the days are slow but the years are fast' is so true. Before you know it, you'll find that favorite newborn onesie doesn't fit anymore and your baby has grown so much right before your eyes. Taking the time in those first few weeks of life gives you newborn photos to look back on for the rest of your life. These are the blurry days. You'll be so glad you have photos to remember the tiny wisps of hair or the way they curled their toes.
- Lastly, grandparents are often times still around in those first few weeks, helping everyone settle into their new roles and showering their new grandbaby with love. We always welcome grandparents during newborn photos, if you would like to include them. After all, these are your first set of family photos with the next generation!
Lentille Photography Is A Houston Family Photography Studio Specializing in Bright & Airy newborn Portraits.
We are so happy you are here and would love to tell you more about how to schedule your newborn session. Reserve your newborn photos in the second trimester to ensure availability.
At Lentille Photography, our team is here to help you every step of the way. From wardrobe & styling, to designing custom artwork with your favorite portraits, we’ve thought through every detail. We want nothing more than for your portrait experience to be enjoyable for the full family.
To ensure availability, please reserve your date early
Share this story